FA&S- CSU Foundation - Joan S. Bissell Mathematics and Science Memorial Scholarship
Established in memory of Dr. Joan S. Bissell, former director in the California State University’s Department of Educator Preparation and Public School Programs, for her leadership and dedication in ensuring a diverse and high-quality educator workforce. Dr. Bissell supported systemwide initiatives and programs, including the Ed.D. program in Educational Leadership, the Math and Science Teacher Initiative (MSTI), the Integrated Teacher Education Programs (ITEP)and the New Generations of Educators Initiative (NGEI). The funds support scholarships for mathematics or science teacher education candidates who commit to work in high needs schools.
The scholarship recognizes candidates who demonstrate a financial need and have attributes of merit, including excellent academic performance, significant personal achievements and community service after verification of full-time enrollment status at a CSU campus.
Fifty (50) $5,000 scholarships will be awarded for the 2021-2022 academic year. Number of applications are available per the percent of MSTI program campus targets.
- Must be currently enrolled in an approved CSU residency program during the academic year 2021-2022 (fall and/or spring terms)
- Demonstrate financial need, as determined by the campus financial aid office
- Be in good academic standing
- Demonstrate a belief in the ability of all children to succeed and in the centrality of a teacher’s role in this success
- Agree to at least two years of teaching in a high-need school after finishing the program
- Upload copy of unofficial transcript(s)
- One letter of endorsement from a reference indicating why you are deserving of this scholarship
- Upload a personal statement explaining the need for the scholarship and motivation for wanting to teach, and in particular in a high-need school – two-page maximum
This scholarship opportunity involves a nomination process. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will forward application packets for nominees to the CSU Foundation. The CSU Foundation will make the final determination regarding chosen recipients. Congratulatory or regret emails will be forwarded to applicants via CPP email once the review and scoring process is completed
For questions regarding this opportunity, please email email@example.com
To begin the application process, please complete your general application first then proceed to search this scholarship in the “Opportunities>>Recommended” Tab and APPLY