Stipend Selection Criteria
• This opportunity is open to graduate students enrolled Winter 2018; students who have received this award in the previous years are
• Priority given to full-time graduate students pursuing STEM major at Cal Poly Pomona with a current GPA of 3.0
• Must be continuously enrolled as a graduate student at Cal Poly Pomona every term;
• Must submit letter of recommendation from MENTORES/PPOHA Faculty Advisor, who is associated with the program (Note: Please speak with your professor before you request a letter from him/her);
• Must be enrolled in a graduate program at Cal Poly Pomona each term to receive the stipend based on academic performance;
• Must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident (international students are not eligible to apply);
• Must submit Statement of Intent (1000 word max.) to include: (1) detail of student’s long-term career goals; (2) description of the
student’s motivation and initiative in pursuit of career goals; (3) explanation of how participation in MENTORES will help achieve career
goals; and (4) discussion of any other relevant information that the selection committee should consider (including disadvantages or
personal hardships, professional achievements worthy of mention, etc.).
Disbursement of the complete two-year stipend is contingent upon meeting milestone requirements each term, as listed here:
- Participate in a Pre-Award Orientation (scheduled February 27, 2018);
- Participate in the assessment required for the project;
- Complete the CSU Video/Audio Image Release Form;
- Participate in associated MENTORES activities, including workshops and an annual STEM graduate student symposium;
- Submit a “Graduate Student Progress Report” each term to the MENTORES Faculty Advisor and MENTORES Coordinator, Patricia Bejarano-Vera.
Stipend Two-Year Disbursement Schedule beginning Winter quarter
$3,500 MENTORES Stipend to be disbursed over a two-year period, as follows (Note: awards cannot be disbursed retroactively, meaning no funds for previous quarters):
• 1st Year (1st installment): $700 (Winter Quarter)
• 1st Year (2nd installment): $800 (Spring Quarter)
• 2nd Year (3rd installment): $900 (Fall Semester)
• 2nd Year (4th installment): $1,100 (Spring Semester)
Important Note: If the student is dis-enrolled during any term for which the stipend is disbursed, the student must immediately inform the PI, Dr. Behnam Bahr (email@example.com), and explain the situation; otherwise, the stipend will rescinded.
ONLY ONE LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION IS NEEDED.