Sci - Geology - Margaret C. Van Buskirk Memorial Scholarship Endowment
The Margaret Claire Van Buskirk Memorial Scholarship is for juniors and seniors majoring in Geological Sciences whose commitment and level of effort is truly outstanding. This award is to honor Margaret Van Buskirk’s hard work and total commitment to her undergraduate studies in Geology at Cal Poly Pomona. Margaret was dedicated to Geology and to the profession. She was successful through the application of a strong work ethic, commitment to lifelong learning, and exceptional effort in all areas of the undergraduate Geology experience. After graduating from Cal Poly Pomona with a BS in Anthro/Geography in 1981 and a BA in Earth Science in 1987, Margaret later returned to teach Mineralogy and other lower division courses.
The Scholarship award consists of two parts: 1) a monetary award of $750 and 2) placement of the recipient’s name on a plaque displayed in the Geological Sciences Department Office.
The Scholarship will be awarded at the Cal Poly Pomona Geological Sciences Department annual Alumni Reunion on May 5th, 2018 (time and place TBD).
Although the goal is to give this scholarship every year, the overriding intention is to recognize an individual whose commitment and level of effort is truly outstanding. To this end, there is no stipulated requirement that the award be given every year.
This award is for the 2017-2018 academic year.
• Geology majors with junior (greater than 90 quarter units by the end of June) or senior standing are eligible to apply
• Must be in Good Academic Standing at the University- GPA must be 2.0 or above
• The student must have been a major in the Geology Department for at least one year prior to being considered.
• Must attach copy of unofficial transcript
• Citizenship or Permanent Residency not required