FA&S - CSU - Wilson C. Riles Education Scholarship
Working his way through public instruction, Wilson C. Riles began his career in 1940 as a teacher and administrator in Arizona public schools and later became the first elected African American state superintendent of schools in the United States.
The scholarship program was established in 2003 to recognize Superintendent Riles’ deep commitment to education through support of students enrolled in California State University teacher credential programs, with preference given to first generation college students.
Three (3) $2,500 scholarships will be awarded for the 2023-2024 academic year.
Award Period: 2023-2024
- The minimum enrollment requirement is 6.0 units.
- Student must be currently enrolled in the teacher credential program
- The minimum grade point average is 3.0.
Personal Statement (300 word max count for each):
1. What experience has impacted your personal growth?
2. Tell us about a time you failed. What did you learn from that experience?
3. Why are you pursuing your major? How does it relate to your career aspirations?
4. Provide an example of service beyond the classroom (i.e., have you taken on significant family obligations, helped others in a specific way, been involved in political action, worked/volunteered/interned at a particular organization, etc.). Why is this example significant to you?
Thank You Letter – Prior to fund distribution, selected recipients are required to send a thank you letter addressed to Mr. Philip G. Riles (son of Superintendent Riles).
If selected as a nominee for this scholarship, the recipient will be required to submit supplemental materials as requested. Eligible nominee(s) will be notified via campus email.
This scholarship opportunity involves a nomination process. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will forward selected nominees to the CSU Foundation. The CSU Foundation will make the final determination regarding chosen recipients. If selected as a nominee for this scholarship, the recipient will be required to submit supplemental materials as requested. Please be sure to check your CPP email for follow up requirements.
Should you have any further questions, please contact the Scholarships team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To begin the application process, please complete the General Application first, then proceed to the CSU Systemwide application to complete the personal statement.
- Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships