FA&S- CSU Systemwide - William & Janet Lahey Art Education and Visual Arts Scholarship
William Lahey served as Assistant Vice Chancellor, Faculty and Staff Affairs from October 1966 until he retired on June 1986. He came to the California State University from federal civil service to the position of Statewide Dean of Faculty. William and his wife Jan lived in Huntington Harbor. Jan was an avid volunteer with the Long Beach Art Museum and William would invite staff to join them for special receptions and exhibit openings. By supporting Summer Arts and scholarships for visual arts students, they are furthering both William’s commitment to education and Jan’s passion for the arts.
The William & Janet Lahey Art Education and Visual Arts Scholarship will have two (2) $10,000 scholarships available for the 2023-2024 academic year for students in a post-baccalaureate program leading to a high school single subject teaching credential in the arts. The annual scholarship will be sufficient to cover tuition & fees and provide an additional small stipend. Each campus may nominate one student.
Award Period: 2023-2024
• Answer the required Personal Statement questions under the CSU Systemwide application and the additional THE WILLIAM & JANET LAHEY ART EDUCATION AND VISUAL ARTS SCHOLARSHIP question number 5
• Must be enrolled at least half-time
• Must possess a bachelor’s degree in art or in one of the visual art specializations.
• Be enrolled in one of the following programs:
- A post baccalaureate program leading to a high school single subject teaching credential in the arts;
- A Master of Fine Arts program in art or one of the visual arts specialization; or
- A Master of Arts program in art or one of the visual arts specializations
• Must be in good standing with have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on an 4.0 scale.
• Priority consideration will be given to scholarship applications in the following order:
- First priority will be given to students enrolled in a program leading to a single subject teaching credential in the arts;
- Second priority will be given to eligible students who have a record of volunteer activities in the arts or who are currently engaged in arts volunteer activities in schools or community arts organizations
- Third priority will be given to eligible students who have a record of volunteer activities in the arts or who are currently engaged in arts volunteer activities in schools or community arts organizations.
Personal Statement (300 word max count for each):
1. What experience has impacted your personal growth?
2. Tell us about a time you failed. What did you learn from that experience?
3. Why are you pursuing your major? How does it relate to your career aspirations?
4. Provide an example of service beyond the classroom (i.e., have you taken on significant family obligations, helped others in a specific way, been involved in political action, worked/volunteered/interned at a particular organization, etc.). Why is this example significant to you?
Supplemental Question (300 word max count)
5. Please share your commitment to arts education or to community arts organizations.
Two recommendations from faculty members who can certify the student’s enrollment in a qualifying program and intent to contribute to art education in the schools or to visual arts may be requested.
This scholarship opportunity involves a nomination process. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will forward selected nominees to the CSU Foundation. The CSU Foundation will make the final determination regarding chosen recipients. If selected as a nominee for this scholarship, the recipient will be required to submit supplemental materials as requested. Please be sure to check your CPP email for follow up requirements.
For questions regarding this opportunity, email email@example.com
To begin the application process, please complete the General Application first, then proceed to the CSU Systemwide application to complete the personal statement. To complete the supplemental question search THE WILLIAM & JANET LAHEY ART EDUCATION AND VISUAL ARTS SCHOLARSHIP in the “Opportunities >> Ours” tab and click on APPLY.
- CSU Foundation, Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Supplemental Questions
- ANSWER AFTER COMPLETING THE CSU SYSTEMWIDE SCHOLARSHIPS PERSONAL STATEMENT. Question 5.) Please share your commitment to arts education or to community arts organizations.