CLASS - COM - Patricia A. Kurtz Memorial Scholarship
Patricia A. Kurtz was an assistant professor in the Communication Department at Cal Poly Pomona from 1984 until her death in 1991. She received her Master’s degree in Communication from Cal State Fullerton and was in the process of obtaining a Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin. Professor Kurtz was actively involved with students, serving as advisor to Opus magazine and co-chairing Com Day. While she was advisor to Opus, the magazine won 10 of the 12 annual awards for journalism excellence given by the California Intercollegiate Press Association (CIPA). Opus was also named the best College/University magazine in 1989 by CIPA. Professor Kurtz was involved with the writing and publishing of community newspapers and was assistant editor of a monthly trade publication. It is in her memory that her family and friends have established this scholarship award.
There will be two recipients; each recipient will be awarded $500.
This is a one-time award; previous recipients are not eligible.
Award period 2021-2022
- Must have declared Communication major and be currently enrolled at Cal Poly Pomona
- Must be Junior level or higher during 2021-2022
- Must have Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must upload a current resume
- Must answer additional question addressing 1) your views about the importance of journalism, magazines, and feature writing, 2) your career and educational goals, including your interest in journalism, magazines, and feature writing, 3) your involvement in student, professional, and/or community activities, and 4) your reasons for applying for this scholarship and your need for financial assistance.
- Full-time student status during 2021-2022 (this will be confirmed before scholarship funds are disbursed before the start of 2021-2022)
Should you have any questions, please contact Mark Generous at email@example.com, in the Communication Department.
Selection Process: Awards each year are based on the student’s general application and supplemental responses. The Scholarship Committee of the Department of Communication will decide the recipients. Note – finalists may be interviewed by the Communication Department’s Student Scholarships Committee.
To begin the application process, please complete your general application first, then proceed to search this scholarship in the “Opportunities>>Ours” Tab and click on APPLY.