FA&S- CSU Foundation - Jim Sanders Media and Leadership Scholarship
James Sanders wasn’t known by that name. He wasn’t often called Jim. People working at the television stations in Sacramento, CA; Columbus, OH; San Diego, CA; and San Francisco, CA where he presided as news director knew him as Sanders. He was a leader, not just a manager. As one former employee said about Sanders after his death in September 2015, “Sanders was all about integrity. From the choice and quality of the stories he put on the air to his mentoring of countless people in all areas of news, he operated from a base of encouragement, never negativity. From a heart full of courage instead of fear. Sanders didn’t force you to do your best, he made you want to do your best. And he led by example, holding himself up to the highest standard and trusting that his people would rise to their highest potential. I am not unique in my love and admiration for this funny, charismatic, intelligent man; there are many of us who would have followed Jim Sanders anywhere.” This scholarship is to honor and support the leaders of today and tomorrow among the California State University student population. The media industries are changing and as the continued gatekeepers of information, the industries need people to lead, take risks, be creative, have a sense of humor, be intelligent, and challenge the status quo.
Award Period: 2021-2022
- Have an interest in journalism, media, or communication.
- Aspire to a career in media, but can be interested in any aspect of the industry including engineering, sales, production (audio, video and sound editing, etc.), graphic design, human resources, etc.
- Be currently enrolled or be entering a first semester as a student at a California State University campus and must hold a student status during the scholarship period.
- Must be enrolled during the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Must express current leadership qualities or the desire to be a leader in journalism, media, or communication.
- Upload a brief personal statement that explains why you want to pursue a career in journalism, media or communication and how you perceived yourself as a leader
- Two letters of recommendation are required. One letter must be from an instructor who taught the student.
- Complete Applicant Information Form
This scholarship opportunity involves a nomination process. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will forward application packets for nominees to the CSU Foundation. The CSU Foundation will make the final determination regarding chosen recipients. Congratulatory or regret emails will be forwarded to applicants via CPP email once the review and scoring process is completed
For questions regarding this opportunity, please email email@example.com
To begin the application process, please complete your general application first, then proceed to search this scholarship in the “Opportunities >> Ours” tab and click on APPLY.