ENV - Landscape Architecture - Don Brinkerhoff Scholarship
The Don Brinkerhoff Landscape Architecture Scholarship is intended to provide unrestricted scholarship support to an undergraduate student who has demonstrated a strong level of academic achievement and a calculated financial need. The Brinkerhoff award is intended to assist a student pursuing a degree in the field of landscape architecture.
This annual scholarship will be awarded to individuals who are self-starters, leaders, team players and multi-disciplined in focus. We encourage all students, including first-generation, diverse, low-income, and underrepresented students to apply. Students may not reapply for the scholarship. It is intended as a one-time award.
Don Brinkerhoff is the founder of Lifescapes International, Inc., the award-winning international landscape architectural firm headquartered in Newport Beach. Lifescapes has designed and implemented more than 400 projects throughout the world, including casino resorts in Las Vegas such as The Mirage, The Venetian, MGM Grand, Encore Beach Club, and Red Rock Resort and Casino as well as residential and commercial projects such as The Grove in Los Angeles and the Four Season Hotel in Macao, China. Don Brinkerhoff is an alumnus of Cal Poly Pomona and he and the Brinkerhoff family have funded scholarships for the College of Environmental Design and College of Agriculture students for many years. The firm regularly hosts ENV students and faculty at various projects designed by the Lifescapes in Las Vegas, including the Wynn Resorts and Redrock Resort and Spa. Mr. Brinkerhoff also benefitted from scholarship support while a student at CPP and credits that opportunity with making the difference in his academic and professional career. He would not have been able to finish his studies had he NOT received a scholarship.
This scholarship will be awarded for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Criteria (applicants must meet the following standards):
- Full-time upper division (junior or senior standing) Undergraduate Landscape Architecture student
- Major GPA should be 3.0 or better
- Declared Landscape Architecture Major
- Limited to students with a calculated financial need : 2019-2020 Federal Application for Free Student Aid (FAFSA) required
- Citizen or non-citizen (eligible for security clearance)
- Completed application
- Letter of intent including intended study objectives and the relationship of these objectives to the applicant’s career goals
- Current resume
- A4 Size digital portfolio:
– Maximum of 8 page spreads of A4 size (16 total pages)
– Portfolio projects that support application
- Post-award requirements will include a thank-you letter to donor, report of findings, and a public presentation of findings/discoveries. It may also include a meeting at Lifescapes.
- If selected for award, recipients must provide a hard copy of portfolio and all required documents including thank you letter to department office.
- Two brief letters of reference from individuals OUTSIDE the Department of Landscape Architecture
Post-award requirements include:
*A thank-you letter to the donor
*Report of findings
*A public presentation of findings/discoveries
*A meeting with Lifescapes
*A hard copy of portfolios and all required documents including a thank you letter to department office
If you have any questions please contact Andrew Wilcox, Department Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Kris Penrose, Department Administrative Coordinator at email@example.com.
To begin the application process, please complete your general application first, then proceed to search this scholarship in the “Opportunities>>Recommended” Tab and click on APPLY.