Sci - James Lebowitz Memorial Computer Science Scholarship
James Andrew Lebowitz, 18, was a successful freshman computer science major at Cal Poly Pomona when a brain aneurysm cut short his journey. Always a giver, James saved five lives through his posthumous organ donation. James was one of only 120 students admitted to Cal Poly Pomona’s Computer Science Program in 2014 – a signal achievement for a young man who had to overcome many difficulties posed by an autism spectrum diagnosis. James loved Cal Poly, and was loved in return.
The James Lebowitz Memorial Computer Science Scholarship will be awarded annually to a freshman or sophomore computer science major, in perpetuity. “Helping other young people much like James is a fitting honor for our son. Long after we’re gone, his name and story will live on at Cal Poly,” says James’ father Paul Lebowitz.
You can save lives, too. Please register as an organ and tissue donor today by visiting the Donate Life California Celebrating James webpage (http://donatelifecalifornia. org/james).
This scholarship of $2,500 is for freshman or sophomore Computer Science majors who have demonstrated scholarly merit and an engagement in the campus learning community.
This scholarship will be awarded for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Full-time Computer Science major classified as a freshman or sophomore during current academic year.
- Cumulative and Major GPA must be greater than or equal to 3.0
- Good academic standing with the University
- Membership and active participation in one or more campus organizations such as the Computer Science Society
- The organization need not be science oriented, but must be secular and non-partisan
- One letter of recommendation should be attached to your General Application
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Fang Tang, Chair & Professor, at email@example.com.
To begin the application process, please complete your general application first, then proceed to search this scholarship in the “Opportunities>>Recommended” Tab and click on APPLY.