Alumni - Pace Setters Scholarship
As the official organization for retired faculty and staff of Cal Poly Pomona, including the Foundation, ASI and the Cal Poly Pomona Federal Credit Union, Pace Setters was founded by President Hugh O. La Bounty.
The first Pace Setters president was Professor Emeritus C. Edwin Harwood, who retired in 1980 from the English & Foreign Languages Department. The purpose of the organization will be fellowship and service In May 1981, the first Pace Setters luncheon was held as a “reunion” of retired faculty and staff, with nearly 50 retirees in attendance. Today, there are more than 1,000 retired faculty and staff from Cal Poly Pomona and more than 150 of them are dues-paying members of Pace Setters.
Since its inception, Pace Setters strives to develop programs and activities for the benefit of its members, including promoting fellowship among members, engaging in university activities, and other mutually beneficial relationships between the university, the Foundation, Associated Students Inc., the Credit Union and their retirees.
The naming of the group enjoyed an interesting history, according to longtime member Irene Lovewell, who states, “We could have been ‘Knights and Ladies of Kellogg’ or ‘Kellogg Specials’ or (horrors!) ‘Kellogg Flakes!’ Thankfully, ‘Pace Setters’ was chosen.”
This scholarship will be awarded for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Open to undergraduate students in the following class level (sophomore, junior)
- Open to all majors
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Students must be enrolled full-time for 2020-2021
- Students must be currently enrolled in 12 units or more
- Must be a California Resident
- Submit a statement of no more than 200 words explaining your campus volunteer involvement (list and briefly explain your responsibilities).
- Applicant must demonstrate campus volunteer involvement
- No letter of recommendation needed
Note: Current Juniors that will be seniors next year can apply.
If you have any questions, please contact Samantha Chow at email@example.com.
To begin the application process, please complete your general application first, then proceed to search this scholarship in the “Opportunities>>Ours” Tab and click on APPLY.