Engineering – ME - Hob and Suzanne Issa Mechanical Engineering Scholarship
Hob Issa is a graduate of Cal Poly Pomona (BS Mechanical Engineering 1990). Since that time, he has used his knowledge and abilities to provide efficiency solutions in the energy-engineering sector, employed by such notable companies as Ebasco/Raytheon, Southwest Gas, and Pacific Gas & Electric Energy Services. In 2005, Hob joined Lincus, Inc., an energy-engineering firm, as a partner. Headquartered in Tempe Arizona (with offices in Monrovia, Emeryville, and San Diego California), Hob serves as Vice President, mainly focusing on the company’s growth. Lincus provides utility clients with innovative solutions to help them effectively plan and achieve their Integrated Demand Side Management goals, while helping commercial, industrial, and institutional clients uncover ways to use existing mechanical and control systems at optimal capacity.
Hob and his wife Suzanne both enthusiastically support growth in the education of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math with motivated college students. It is their desire to help potential Mechanical Engineering students achieve their goals of obtaining their degrees at Cal Poly Pomona as they learn to become problem solvers, creators, and collaborators who will fill the critical pipeline of engineers, scientists, and innovators so essential to the future of California and the nation.
To attract and recruit incoming freshmen and transfer students for the Mechanical Engineering program at CPP and to provide unrestricted scholarship support for those students who have demonstrated an aptitude for mathematics and the STEM sciences from high school onward. This scholarship program is intended to assist students who can show a strong level of academic achievement and a calculated financial need, who will be pursuing a degree in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
$ 5,000 annually, as funding permits.
Selection Criteria for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021:
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5+, from High School transcripts onward as incoming freshmen or transfer student
- Declared major of: Mechanical Engineering
- Registered for a full-time course load as of first semester enrolled at CPP onward
- Must demonstrate financial need by completing the FAFSA
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Must submit letter of recommendation
Scholarship is renewable for a total of 5 awards provided students maintain all criteria listed above
- Between Oct. 1 and Nov. 30, complete the online application for admission to Cal Poly Pomona using the Cal State Apply website, with a major preference in Mechanical Engineering. At that time applicants will be issued a Bronco ID.
- Between Jan. 2 and Feb. 15, applicants must complete a scholarship application using their Bronco ID; and submit a letter of recommendation online by accessing the Bronco Scholarship Application (BSA) form at: https://csupomona.academicworks.com/.
- The qualified pool of applicants will be reviewed by the ME scholarship selection committee and their top tier recommendations will be forwarded to the Chair of the Department for final selection by March 15.
- Financial Aid will notify students in mid-August when funds have transferred to their account and are available for expenditure.
This annual scholarship will be awarded to individuals who are self-starters, leaders, team players and multi-disciplined in focus. Minority and women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. The award is intended to assist students with financial resources for tuition and educational expenses through graduation.
_ Please note, your scholarship award is based on full-time enrollment. The scholarship may be reduced or cancelled if your enrollment drops below full-time after the money is paid._
Scholarship disbursement is contingent upon completion of the following: (a) Write and submit a formal ‘Thank You’ letter (via upload to Academic Works); and (b) Participate in the “College of Engineering Scholarship Conferral Luncheon,” May 14, 2020; 11:30AM–1:00PM; Ursa Minor (held on Thursday, students are expected to participate at minimum, 12:00PM–1:00PM).
Should you have any questions, please contact Norma De La Llata from the College of Engineering at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are having difficulty applying or logging in, please contact Ariana Estrada from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at email@example.com.